Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Science Fair Proposal

1. If the human body under goes shock, then the RR intervals on an EKG reading will be closer together.
2. Dependent: Heart rate and blood pressure
Independent: The initial shock
Control: How the shock is applied
3. My experiment has to do with activating the baroreflex. This is the reflex that controls your blood pressure. So maybe if a boxer allows himself to get hit a few times at the beginning of the fight, it will cause his blood pressure to increase and this will get blood into the places he needs it quicker and the adrenaline will take affect faster. This can help the boxer take control of the fight earlier because his body as already ready to fight even before the first round ends. My experiment can help give boxers tips on how to warm up and get their body to prepare for the fight. 
4. I'll gather at least 22 people. I'll have them sit on a recliner chair. Then I'll hook the subject up to a sphygmomanometer and a heart rate monitor(or something like that) and tell them to relax. I'll record the "relaxed" values on the two monitors. Then I'll apply the initial shock, which is to make them almost fall backwards. Then record the "shocked" values on the monitors.
5. Physiology

No comments:

Post a Comment